
...the nutrition challenge that is.
Jess and Chrissie came up with this great idea of a 3 month program "to help you reach your individual nutrition and wellness goals in a supportive team environment." LOVE the idea. We're not challenging each other. We're challenging ourselves...and we're using one another as support. The cool thing is that we will all have slightly different goals - at least I'm pretty sure of that - but we all struggle with some similar things. Or at least I assume we do given the questions that people asked at our first meeting on Monday night. From beer to cheese to chocolate, we've all got our temptations. We all want to be social creatures and not be ruled by our food/drink choices. Yet we all care about our bodies and we know that given what we do (all our training) that we need to take care of our bodies. We have to pay attention to what we eat if we want to perform with any "success" (not defining that in terms of race times...more in terms of surviving training day in and day out!), we generally know our bodies well, and we pretty much know what we should be doing...now to make sure that we're doing it.
Monday night was our first meeting and I'm super excited! Of course, having Jess as our "nutrition guru" and Chrissie as her (self-described) "helper" means that we have a dynamic duo leading the way. In even this initial meeting, I picked up a thing or two that I didn't have a clue about. And Jess has already given me some personal feedback that will let me get started ASAP. Like today...because the challenge runs July 12-October 2 (well, really July 13 if we want to start on the date we had feedback). I know this won't be easy. But when have I been one to go the easy route when it comes to...well, just about anything? And as Gran said about me in the middle of the marathon when Chris called to update her, "My granddaughter does not quit." She's right. I might slow down. I might question myself. I might take a detour. I might get frustrated. But I don't quit. And I won't quit this either.
Even though I know it's going to be tough to get some of my numbers to budge (why does seeing those numbers ALWAYS make me gulp a little?!).
I don't have major, major things to change. And I guess that is something to be grateful for. On the other hand, I don't have major, major things to change because I'm pretty disciplined about this food stuff already. So it's a little daunting to think about being even MORE careful and disciplined. But I can do it. I'm sure of it. And when I'm not, I'll just call Gran and she'll remind me that her granddaughter does not quit.
(P.S. Also very excited about the people who will be by my side through this journey these next 3 months and already looking forward to our weekly meetings...even though I have to miss the first one!)
No comments:
Post a Comment