Monday, April 9, 2012

a new perspective

I've been trying my hand at photography lately. Thanks to Amy who had a Groupon that she couldn't use and that I bought from her, I took my first photography class in February (on SuperBowl Sunday). I have a Canon PowerShot that I have, quite frankly, been lucky enough to take some good pictures with - completely by accident. I have a decent eye for things (or so I've been told!), but I had no idea that this little point-and-shoot could do so many things. I learned A TON that Sunday afternoon...cold and rainy as it might have been. We sat for about an hour and listened to some instruction and then were set forth to take pictures. Our instructor would give us an "assignment", we'd wander around the food trailer court near Progress Coffee and then regroup. We continued in this way for about an hour and took lots of photos. Some worth keeping...others quickly being deleted. (Got to love that about digital cameras).
Some of my favorites from the day:

I had a blast in those two hours of photography class. And so I took our instructor's words to heart and I have been practicing. A lot. Taking photos each day. Since February. It's quite a feat for me to have stuck with something like this!
To hold myself accountable, I set up an account with Blipfoto. The idea is to post one photo each day. I quickly learned that the more pictures I took (even of the same subject), the more likely I was to have at least one that I was willing to post. Some days I've gotten lucky and had many that I would like to post. Since that initial class, some of my favorites include:











I'm about to embark on an online photography course, which will be interesting. And I'm hoping to keep expanding what I'm doing and how well I work with my camera. The most important thing to me is that I'm having a ton of fun with it. I'm not claiming to be extremely talented by any means, but it has given me a new perspective on how I see things throughout the day.


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

what lovely photos--thank you for sharing! i am not at all surprised to see that you have another talent :)

reyacono said...

These are beautiful. I especially like the ones of Fisher. And of cookies. =)

What a fun new endeavor - and I agree: you do have a good eye!