Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday something

I've never been very good at giving things up for Lent.  Not because I don't have willpower (although sometimes less than I would like).  Not because I don't have vices in my life that I should give up (at least for a little while).  It's more that I always think of Lent as a time of reflection and connection to both our soul and core and also the higher power that is God.  And giving things up doesn't make me do that.  Maybe it should?  What does connect me to that higher power is making space in my life for contemplation and quiet and peace - something that hasn't naturally been in my life since September or so.  I feel like ever since Gran got close to her final days and then left us, life has been spinning really, really quickly.  So much that it's all been almost a blur.  Happy moments.  Sad moments.  Moments of feeling full to overflowing.  Moments of feeling empty.  Not really a bad blur, but a messy blur that I'm just now starting to make sense of. 
What does all of that have to do with Lent?  Well, I decided that my Lenten commitment would be to add something rather than give up something.  So I've added in quiet and spiritual movement and a willingness to step into the new and a practice that clears space for me and makes me press the "slow" button on my life - yoga.  Daily.  Each and every day.  Even if it's just for 10 minutes before bed.  My whole perspective changes when I spend time in yoga practice.  (I had aimed to do this starting in January 2013, but it soon became easy to crawl into bed or read in my armchair rather than rolling out my yoga mat.  After even just a week or so of Lent and daily yoga, my mind is clearer.  My body feels better.  And I'm more connected to all that is around me - big and small, tangible and intangible.  There's time for meditation in yoga.  There's time for practicing trust.  There's time for reflecting on what is and what is at my core.  And it helps sweep away the clutter that keeps me from connecting - with those here on earth and those up above.     

No comments: