Friday, April 12, 2013

friday quotation

My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hue
An everlasting vision of the everchanging view
A wondrous woven magic in bits of blue and gold
A tapestry to feel and see, impossible to hold...

Such are the lyrics from a camp favorite (previously made famous by Carole King).  And such were my thoughts as I sat at the funeral of a dear friend's father on Thursday.  Next to another dear friend who had introduced us.  The common thread for us started to unravel with our grandparents way back when...three generations of friendships...more links to other friends.  I smiled thinking of Gran and Jane looking down on Katy and me sitting together at Elizabeth's dad's funeral.  I knew the scene of love and friendship would make them happy.  I also knew that they had been in the incredible host of witnesses that had welcomed Dr. Lawhon home.  And for that, I was grateful.  I'm sure they thought it was too early for him to be joining them.  Or maybe they know so much more than we do now that they don't even question such things.  As I drove back to Austin my heart was sad for Elizabeth and her family...and full of happiness and gratitude for the ways that our lives had been woven together.  A tapestry that was indeed impossible to hold and yet so clear to even the untrained eye in that church on Thursday.  Godspeed, Dr. Lawhon.  May your new paradise be without pain and full of the most perfect peace you've ever known.  (And maybe some Colorado mountains?)  And may that same peace, but the earthly variety, bring comfort to all who love you.  (Oh, and when you see Gran, if you'll give her a hug for me, I'd appreciate it.)     

No comments: