Sunday, November 3, 2013

back to school

Nope, I'm not a few months behind in writing this post.  This time I'm going back to school!  Purely for fun this time around!  I'm taking a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) with a favorite professor from UVA.  The course is called The Kennedy Half Century and our professor is Larry Sabato.  I had Professor Sabato for an Introductory Government class that was required for me as a history + education major.  A requirement that was well worth my time!  I was naturally interested in the topic, but Professor Sabato made me hurry to class to get a decent seat each meeting time.  So I jumped at the chance to be a student in one of his classes again - albeit an online class.  Which is another reason that I took the course.  I've been skeptical of MOOCs and their value and their effectiveness.  And as I sit here listening to my lessons (from last week...yeah, I'm a little behind), I have a new perspective on when and how MOOCs might be effective.  I don't know that I will ever think that they are equal to being in a classroom, but I do see a place where they could really be valuable.  I'm learning about a topic for which I have always held a certain interest (mostly because of the "mystery" and "awe" and "tragedy" that surrounds the story of JFK), but about which I never knew that much.  Am I being the best student?  Well, if you mean am I showing up for class each day...no, I'm not.  Have I bought the book that goes along with the class (but is not required)...no, I have not.  Am I listening to the lectures...yes, I am (even if I'm a few days late).  Am I answering the questions on the quizzes...yes, I am (and getting most of them correct - as a sign that I am paying attention!).  So I think it's a fabulous way to expand your knowledge when you don't have time to show up for a class and do mega-amounts of homework.  But I'm glad I went to school the way that I did and that I got to meet professors like Professor Sabato in person.  I think I just learn better that way.
Which brings me to my second class - a photography class at UT that starts tomorrow evening!  Stay tuned for more about it and probably some pictures from it. I'm excited to learn more about my camera - which I have neglected for too many months now.  I'm excited to see where these creative juices of mine lead me.  I'm excited and curious to see who else is in the class, what the teacher is like, and what our homework will be. 


As for accountability, with class every Monday, I have a feeling I'll be doing ALL of my homework for this one!

 

No comments: