Sunday, January 17, 2010

my favorite workout of the year...

...is perhaps one of the most insane workouts that we do. I mean, really, who in their right minds swims a 10K. That would be 6.2 miles. So, it's not swimming the English Channel (some 21 miles or something) and it's in a pool (not open water) but still. It's a little insane. And I love every minute of it! Honestly, I would consider open-water long distance swimming if it weren't for all of the potential sea life that I might encounter which, quite frankly, freaks me out! I'm thinking that I love swimming so much because I love water. According to my mom, I always have. I think I was swimming at age 3 or something. And at camp I spent every possible free moment in the water...even to the point of capsizing the sailboat for "practice" MUCH more than I needed to just as an excuse to get in the water. Given the choice of where to go for vacation...nearly any place near water always wins out in my mind.
So I didn't mind spending 3+ hours in the water today to swim a 10K. The 10K is divided up into 10 sets of 10 100s each. The sets are varied - pull, swim w/o equipment, kick, fins...or some combination. I think my favorite moment was when we were running short on time and I half jokingly suggested that we do the entire last set with our fins and without stopping. Michael and Jess sort of looked at me and so I moved to an empty lane to finish things off by myself. A few hundred later and Jess is in the lane with me. She also thought that the way to finish this workout off was to do 1,000 without stopping. Fun! I love that Jess is often my partner-in-crazy-workout-crime!
I was tired at the end but actually feeling okay...except for my arms and shoulders. We pulled about 3,000 of the 10,000...translation - that would be like pulling nearly an entire swim workout that we do. Yikes. Good thing I have a massage tomorrow. I think. Katie might hear new words coming out of my mouth when she goes in to work out the kinks.
Bonus of the workout: pancakes at the end! Thanks to all of our poolside chefs AND cheerleaders...Y'ALL were AMAZING today and, along with my lane mates, definitely kept me going.
Somehow didn't get to nap today but know I will sleep VERY well tonight. And I think I might even go to bed without my stomach growling for more food. I am always hungry after a swim workout. After a 10K swim workout, I was downright ravenous all day. Had to pace myself in the refueling effort...and managed to stay away from the milkshake that I really wanted. (Don't worry, I did give in to other treats!)

No comments: