Sunday, January 9, 2011

I get by with a little help from my fins...

...and my pull buoy and my paddles and my swimming friends! My favorite swim workout of the year was on Sunday - 100 x 100. Yes. That would be 100, 100s. It's not as overwhelming as it seems because you break it into 10 sets of 100 (in each set you swim ten 100s). And it's every bit as overwhelming as it seems because 100, 100s is A LOT OF SWIMMING. Actually it's a 10K of swimming. Which means it's 6.2 miles of swimming. And even for someone (like me!) who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES swimming, it's a lot of swimming. But we were ready for it last Sunday. Together, Nancy, Jim, Kevin, Jennifer, and I (and others but those were my lanemates) braved the chilly morning air and warm waters of Lost Creek Pool and swam. And swam. And swam. For about three hours. We pulled; we did drills; we kicked; we swam at a faster pace; we slowed it down. I think with the exception of strokes other than freestyle we pretty much covered all of the swimming basics. With Sara to guide us and Mo on deck with pancakes when we finished, we made it through the full workout...with the help of our fins in the second to last set (oh, and paddles, too!). I think nearly every muscle and bone in our bodies was tired and worn out but there was a certain sense of satisfaction at having tackled something BIG. And even though I've done it three times before, it still feels big. I don't have much in the way of races on the calendar for 2011, but Sunday's practice reminded me that I don't have to have a timing chip and a race number to keep pushing myself to new limits and taking myself to new places...because even places where I've been before can feel very different each time I visit.

No comments: