Saturday brought my birthday and in true fashion where I try to do something to celebrate life, health, and all of that good stuff, I signed up for a 5K swim at the lake above Mansfield Dam. I usually do the Race for the Cure each year, and conveniently it is usually on or around my birthday. But Fisher Works was being baptized on Sunday so Race for the Cure wouldn't be happening this year. I happily signed up for a 5K swim instead. In fact, THIS might become my annual birthday
celebratory event.The morning was COLD. As in the low 40s, high 30s cold. The water was right around 70 so that felt like a bathtub compared to the air temp. The swim was delayed due to fog...which really was quite thick. But luckily it lifted within 30 minutes or so of our (Amy & Matt Bush who ferried me into the park...Amy was swimming, Matt was kayaking for Amy) arrival. I say luckily because standing in the morning air, even with our many layers on, was making my teeth chatter. The gathering of swimmers was pretty small - maybe 25-30 of us? And what struck me was how unlike a triathlon this was. Not a lot of grumbling over the delay. Very little in the way of complaints about the email explaining the race that arrived the night before the event. And not really very many questions about the course even though it was nearly impossible to see any course markings. I liked this atmosphere. I was a little nervous...but mostly because I never felt quite certain about where exactly we were going to swim. But I didn't have much time to think about that because suddenly we had 8 minutes to get ready and get in the water. That got my adrenalin pumping...enough so to get me into the water...which suddenly felt chilly even though it was nearly 30 degrees warmer than the air temperature! Into the water we went...heard the blow of the air horn...and we were off. Immediately, I felt at ease. Long, smooth strokes. Easy breathing. Comfortable in the water. Ah...I was at home. And there were so few people that I really felt like I had the lake to myself - especially on the backside of the swim. The only bad thing about that was that as I headed toward the dam - because that was the only landmark that was worth siting by - I would have given my eye teeth to have seen another swimmer or a kayaker. Someone asked me if I was afraid out there in the lake without being aware of another soul around. I said, "No...I was just scared I was totally disoriented and was swimming in the wrong direction!" Finally, I saw the finish line...or I saw the buoys marking the finish line. And then I became aware of someone off my right shoulder. I kept my pace, picked it up a little, and kept my eye on that other swimmer. As I got close enough to the finish line to be able to really pick it up and hold a faster pace, I did just that. I kept thinking, "I'm a kick-tastic, and today is my birthday, and I'll be damned if you are going to beat me." And she didn't. But was only behind me by 2 seconds. All of that time swimming alone in the middle of the lake and I ended up finishing within 2 seconds of someone else. That's a little funny to me! The folks at the finish line said it was the most exciting finish of the day - glad to entertain. Anyway, I finished with a big old grin (and not just because I was finished!)...what a fun time. Yes, I had worked hard (but never more than probably 85-90%) but I felt good...not beaten down like you do after even a 5K run. Hmmm...I might be on to something here. And I was pretty pleased to have finished in the top 10! (And second in my AG...take that 37 year-old self!) Anyway, the morning was still brisk when I hopped out of the water, but the sun was out, and after putting on some warm clothes, it actually felt like a beautiful fall day. A great day for a birthday!
I got to drive around Austin in the sunshine-y weather doing errands and being generally happy. The evening brought dinner with Amy and then
The next day brought Fisher Works' baptism which was as much a highlight as my birthday! Getting to be with Kimberly, John, Fisher, and all of their family was a real treat and an honor. And in true form, Fisher behaved perfectly. Seriously, he makes all other kids look bad! The day was gorgeous once again and everything felt a little bit right with the world.
On to some sign making at Catharine's house to encourage the IMAZ folks in a little over a week along the race course...and then to an endowment concert at the Austin Music Hall featuring Bob Schneider. It ended up being much more fun than I would have anticipated which was a nice surprise. Got the chance to talk to people more than I thought...and managed to avoid "business" chatter which sometimes happens. All in all...a smile inducing, heart-warming weekend. I got ZERO work done but that was okay...even if I knew I'd pay for it all week.
Zen swim on Monday...meeting after school that night...and then finally a chance to stop and breathe at Tuesday a.m. yoga. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Met a new teacher named Katy whom Deralyn had recommended and she was good. The class moved quickly but in a purposeful way...not just to rush through it. And maybe that felt good because it sort of mirrored my life...moving quickly but in a purposeful way...not just to rush through it. Feels good.
No comments:
Post a Comment