Tuesday, November 2, 2010

zen swim and the wrong road

Monday's BSP swim was the best I've had in a while. Maybe because I was well-rested. Maybe because the springs were relatively empty. Maybe because I finally got to swim as long as I wanted to...well, that's impossible (I would have swum all day had that been the case!)...but I did get to swim a little longer than usual because I was awake earlier than usual because I went to bed earlier than usual. Funny how that extra sleep thing works! (Yes, Amy, I do listen to you sometimes!) Anyway, both the extra sleep and the uplifting BSP swim were needed to tackle the crazy day of November 1 which, this year, brought not only many early decision/action applications to my world but also two self-study reports! I felt like my load had been lightened so much by the end of the day that my run around Town Lake that evening turned into a mini ETG time trial! (Only matched by my Tuesday run in the rain and cooler temps...)
Tuesday brought a change-up. I'm switching up my yoga days so that I can try a different teacher. Today it was Vic - who I love. Even when he's only a (self-described) half-awake Vic at 6 a.m. :) He's thoughtful, challenging, and wise. And I really appreciate that. Today's little nugget as he made sure we were in the right position for a certain posture, "If you're not in the right place, correct it now. Don't keep going. It's like a Chinese proverb I once heard: No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, once you realize it's the wrong road, turn back." I loved that. It's a reminder to me that it's not too late to start over. That we can't undo what we've done but we certainly don't have to keep making the same mistakes, traveling down the wrong road. It is sometimes inconvenient to retrace our steps. It usually takes more time. It's sometimes painful. But it's ultimately better than continuing on the wrong road!

No comments: