Tuesday, December 13, 2011

looking to some wiser than I

I usually like to reserve quotations for my "friday quotation" but this list of wisdom struck me in a particular way even on day #2 of the week.
I read this on Sunday - a list of things in the Huffington Post that elders wished to pass down to the younger generation.
My reactions to this advice:
- don't choose a career for the money (you need to like it and feel rewarded by something other than a paycheck!): check!
- take care of your body: trying to do this!
- don't miss out on opportunities: working on this...this is a tough one for me as it often involves taking risks, which I'm not great at doing
- don't rush into marrying/choosing a mate (apparently I'm wiser than I thought?!)
- travel more: working on this, too...actually was daydreaming about a summer trip out west just last night...exciting!
- speak your truth: in other words, say what you feel...speak up... For the "quiet, keep-the-peace" child, this is a tough one. I'm getting more comfortable with it though.
- life moves quickly...act now. I feel like I've been hearing this message a lot lately. "Now is what matters", "live in the moment", "don't be consumed by the past or the future", etc... I do think I sometimes take for granted that there will always be another time to do something, say something, etc... and the reality is, there might not be!
- choose happiness. The end. It is a choice. Our choice. Each day. In every moment.
- worrying really doesn't do anything for you. Except for to make you more anxious...and waste your time. Why oh why does it feel like such a natural place to turn then?!
- small acts matter. Small things matter.
Yes...words from our elders (in my own words)...that make so much sense. And so many of them wrote that they wished they had learned these lessons in their 30s (which I'm quickly leaving behind!) instead of in their later years. I think everyone probably says that. But maybe, just maybe, if one or two of these things can settle in my heart, I'll be a little more wise before my time.

No comments: