Saturday, September 7, 2013

new school year, new plan

I'm lucky to be on a school schedule for many reasons, one being that I feel like I get two new years.  The one that falls on January 1 and allows for new resolutions and intentions AND the one that kicks off the start of school - also filled with new resolutions and intentions for me.  Some years my resolutions for the year are very vague.  Examples from the past: "create more balance between work and play/life outside of work" and "don't over-commit" and "don't be so hard on yourself and hold yourself to unrealistic expectations" and "be reasonable when choosing what to say 'yes' to or when creating deadlines for yourself".  Are you seeing a theme?  (Yes, there are professional goals that I set each year, too, but these are the more personal school year goals.)
Not that it's a news flash to anyone who might read this blog, but I have a bit of a problem with saying 'yes' too often to additional duties or committees at work.  I am content to work, work, work...until I hit a breaking point and then I get cranky about it.  But there's no one to blame because I'm the one who said 'yes' all the time!  I could probably qualify as a workaholic, which is not helped when you feel like the work you're doing is really good work...for a really good reason...students, their future, helping them create and chase their dreams!
But during some of my summer reflection time, I made a new commitment  - to myself.  To create more time for myself so that I can spend it doing other things that I love.  I love my work.  But I also love other things.  And I need to create a better balance of the two.  There are many shifts that have happened at work in the past two years that have helped me shift this balance - some things that were disguised in disappointments, further proof that everything happens for good.
So this year, my plan is the following:
- no work on Saturday (sure, there will be some exceptions to this; but, in general, I want to reserve Saturdays for friends, farmers markets, long walks/runs/swims/yoga classes, projects around my house, working on my photography, volunteering, reading, writing, going on roadtrips, taking it easy...not thinking about work...so much more)
- more mellow Sundays (which will usually look like a walk, church, some work to prep for the week, afternoon yoga followed by cooking for the week with some good music playing in the background)
- more intentional day trips out of Austin (on those Saturdays that I'm taking off!)
- continue to create my garden at home...it's not a traditional garden, it's a garden in many pots, but it makes me happy to see the succulents growing and the gerber daisy from January (miraculously!) still thriving and even the tops of the basil plants peeking through the soil. Yes, I've killed some things in my experimenting with what will grow where, but in general it's coming along nicely.
- continuation of my summer DIY projects...like repainting my desk (maybe a bright yellow to contrast the gray-neutral walls???)
- visit more museums and art galleries
- take more pictures around town...and out of town
- go hear more live music
- explore volunteer opportunities (I have two in mind that I'm excited about!)
But also have some weekends with nothing planned!  My theory is that there is much during the week that I cannot control (faculty meetings, other meetings, etc...), but weekends are really mine. This feels very selfish to write as I know many friends who balance work with family and have little time for themselves.  And I feel a tad guilty about that.  But it is where I am right now. I'd love for the time out of work to be balanced by a relationship and/or family, but that hasn't presented itself yet so my reminder to myself is that it doesn't mean that the time outside of work has to be filled with more work!  It can be filled with my relationship with me and with friends and with Austin and strangers in Austin who might need something I can give and with nature and with art and with yoga and with projects and relaxing, and, and...  Here's to the new year!

No comments: