Tuesday, August 24, 2010

farmshare!!!

So I've been talking about signing up for a farmshare delivery for oh, well, approximately a year now. Guess something's gotten into me in these late lazy days of summer because I've been all about follow-through (with most things...wouldn't want to shock my system and do everything on my "to do" list!). Anyway, Amy (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, by the way!) turned me on to Farmhouse Delivery here in Austin. I know I can buy organic...and I could try to make it to the weekly Farmers Markets...but something about this feels different (oh, and it isn't a bad deal that it's all delivered to my door twice a month - woot!). And good. And local. And healthy. And connected to my community of Austin. And all of that good stuff.
Today's share (in the picture to the right) is making me think I need a crash course in PEPPERS. I've got anaheims, jalapenos, habaneros, and sweet peppers. To roast them? To toss them in a salad? To put them in my breakfast casserole? So many options...should be fun figuring it all out! I also got exactly 2 tomatoes, 2 pears, 5 apples, 1 bunch of garlic chives, 2 zucchini, 1 bunch of arugula, 1 cantaloupe, and 2 Italian cucumbers. Amy got potatoes...not sure why I didn't...but I'm okay with that. Even though we got a list of what should be in our farmshare this week, it was still a little like Christmas or a birthday or some other gift-opening event when I peeked inside the box that the items came in. Oooh...aaah...so pretty...so exciting. And just think, every two weeks I get to open another box of goodies. Can't wait to see what the upcoming seasons bring!
For today...the season is still summer and it's still hot (like 100+ degrees hot) so SNO CONES are in order for Amy's birthday! BIG love to you, Amy...thanks for turning me on to Farmhouse Delivery...among other wonderful things.

3 comments:

Rockin Austin said...

Oooh, thanks for the turn-on to the Farmhouse Delivery. I was part of a CSA for a while, but it was too much of what I didn't care for, weeks in a row... Checking it out and an extra Happy B-day to Amy!

Amy H. said...

thanks for a great birthday and SNO CONES!! yum

md said...

how exciting to receive a surprise of fresh fruits and veggies, then get creative with your meals! how cool is that!