Sunday, August 1, 2010

smile day!

It's August 1 which only means one thing to me...SMILE DAY!
I honestly think the whole world needs to celebrate August 1 the way that we did (and they still do) celebrate it at Camp Monterey. August 1 was Miss Dollie (camp director)'s father's birthday and one year, Miss Dollie decided that everyone in camp should celebrate by wearing brightly colored shirts and doing special skits, singing songs, and basically entertaining him all day. Well, the idea stuck and eventually morphed into the day that everyone in camp wore their "loudest" shirts (and hats and socks and shorts and sunglasses...) to celebrate the day as camp's birthday with a BIG cake that everyone could enjoy. In general, it was just a really festive day at camp where we sang "smile" songs all day and it was impossible to be in a bad mood. Somehow that carries over to my life outside of camp and I always remember to smile on August 1! Maybe the world needs a reminder of this everyone once in a while...
P.S. The weekend brought plenty of other reasons to smile, too...a WONDERFUL visit with Elizabeth and her new little girl Kate...my car reaching the 100,000 mile mark and me deciding that I really just want to keep it (in spite of the needed repairs and the upcoming troubles I might have...I'm just not ready to part ways with it. I know, I have loyalty issues. It's a car. I get it. Don't worry, just smile and be happy for me.)...volunteering at Jack's Generic today (always uplifting! LOVE that stuff)...cooking up a storm of veggies tonight...and looking forward to a new month...that started off with a great day!

No comments: