
...be present. Let go of whatever you need to in order to just be here."
This was how Vic started yoga class today. Amazing how very difficult that simple instruction can be. Have you ever really tried to let go of everything...for 60 minutes...or 5 minutes?! I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible! I'm sure it is for some. It's really tough for me. So I started yoga class with a little internal tug-of-war.
"I'm here. I'm breathing. I can feel the floor beneath me. Supporting me. I don't have to do a thing but just be."
"Well, as soon as you walk out of here you have things to do...dinner, laundry, emails, packing, phone calls, birthday cards..."
"Shhhh...that's in 60 minutes. That's not now."
"But you better get ready. You don't want to forget anything. You're already WAY behind on what you need to be getting done this week."
Welcome to the beginning of my yoga practice tonight. Which voice won? Well, it was a draw. That internal coaxing to be outside of the yoga room and on to my nightly routine was strong...but I resisted with every downward dog and crow (I did crow again!!) and lizard (ugh) and frog (double ugh). True to form, while I moving I was there...in the yoga studio...totally present. But when we stopped, the inner dialogue again. At least I won a few battles even if I didn't win the entire war, right?
Of course, the reflective me is wondering if this is in some way symbolic of my life. Probably. While I'm moving I'm so focused on whatever I'm doing that my mind doesn't drift much...it's when I stop that the inner dialogue begins. Maybe that's why I'm nearly always in motion. Maybe I need to stop more and listen to that inner voice...even if I really want to tell her to shush a lot of the time! I have a sense she has something to tell me...although she needs to find another place to express herself other than yoga class (especially when she's feeling so critical)!!
No comments:
Post a Comment