Saturday, August 6, 2011

farmshare fun!

I am not sure what I loved more about my farmshare delivery this week.
The produce: okra, corn, tomatoes, hot peppers, lima beans, mushrooms, mustard micro-greens, zucchini, butternut squash (which I thought was a fall garden item?!), summer squash, pears...YUMMY.
OR

The note that was on the top:
If you can't see it, it's a picture of happy vegetables and says "Hi, Ms. Guice! Happy eating!" signed with a heart from Lizzie. And this is just one of the many things that I love, love, love about my life here in Austin. Lizzie is a former student of mine (advisee to be exact) from the Class of 2004. I have kept up with her...because she's wonderful and because she's the oldest of three kids in her family and I had the honor of advising all of them. Which is part of this story of what I love about my life in Austin.
Lizzie is just one of the many families that I feel like make up my very large Austin family. Mostly extensions of St. Andrew's. Usually families of students whom I have advised because we create such a strong bond over the year - or years, if there is more than one child in the family. Members of my triathlon training team make up my Austin family, too. As do some folks from church. While no one replaces my "real" family (my actual relatives), I'm so blessed to have people who feel like family right here in Austin. It's part of what makes Austin feel like home to me - which it has been since 1996, making it the place that I've lived longer than any other place! And while it's grown SO much in the time that I've lived here (well, we've both grown...I like to think that Austin has grown out and that I've just grown up!), in many ways, it still feels like a smaller city than it is. And notes like the one from Lizzie on the top of my farmshare box make it feel that way. I discovered that she was working there when I (literally) stumbled over to the new Farmhouse office to return a plastic bin (I had two...which was two too many for my condo) and was fairly convinced that I'd landed in the wrong place. With a look of confusion on my face, I opened the door to Suite #110 and Lizzie greeted me. I was delighted but even more confused. She said, "Ms. Guice, what are you doing here?" "Well, I'm trying to find Farmhouse Delivery but I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong place...but maybe the right place to see you!" She quickly explained that I was in the right place for both things and went on to describe this new office space and her role at Farmhouse. Very cool. That returning a plastic bin in which produce arrived would lead me to a former student is something very "Austin" for me. My Austin. The Austin that holds my life. My circles overlap all of the time - which could be annoying, but I choose for it to be warm and friendly instead. (And it keeps me out of trouble - usually!) So veggies or notes from former students? Which make me happier? Well, definitely the latter...but the fact that they came together on Friday represents something doubly sweet.

No comments: