This post is long overdue but it's too good not to share. And now that I've waited this long it will also have a P.S. because of something that happened today.
Back in July, I took my car to the Kwik Car on William Cannon. Lest you think this is your standard Kwik Kar, think again. The waiting area is super welcoming and comfortable - clean, a couch + chairs, music playing through an iPod, coffee and other drinks available. The owners are awesome. They have a boxer who sleeps behind the counter most of the time. And I've long been a fan and a customer based on how pleasant it is to go in there and how great they are to work with. I have always had a sense that they are honest - something that is super important to this girl who doesn't know enough about her (old!) car and just hasn't stopped to learn. And even though it's not close to my house by any means (it is close to school), I've always felt that it was worth the extra miles for the service.
Guess what? I was correct!
Last month when I took the old Subaru in for a standard oil change I was prepared for the usual response: "Ms. Guice, in addition to changing your oil, here are the other things that Subaru recommends at this mileage." Surprise #1: I was all up to date! Surprise #2: "Ms. Guice, so we were reviewing your records and we noticed that we did a (see...I can't remember what it was now only a month later!) twice in a row a while back. That was totally unnecessary. Sorry we didn't catch that then. We'll reimburse you now." I must have had a shocked look on my face. First, I was in shock that I really did only need an oil change. Second, what business does such a thing as catch its own mistake and then offer to reimburse you?! This business! This mom-and-pop place in Southwest Austin that I will continue to go back to. And that I will send friends to...even if it's a little out of the way.
As I was checking out (where I ended up getting a check from the owner instead of giving him a check!), I said, "Thank you again for catching that and for being so amazing about it." He smiled and shook his head and said, "We just wanted to make sure that we did the right thing." I assured him that he had. Hopefully I can "pay it forward" a little by sending some folks his way...
P.S. Another nice car story today (I'm beginning to think I must look fairly helpless when it comes to my car!): I took my car to a neighborhood Texaco and purposefully asked for full serve because I wanted the fluid levels but mostly the air in the tires checked. The (young) guy looked at me and said, "Is the car on empty?" I thought this was an odd question but said, "Well, nearly. But really I'm more concerned about my tires." He said, "We were supposed to close right now but since you have such a pretty smile I'll check it out." Skipping over the possible flirtatious nature of the gas station guy (I wanted to say, "You do realize how old I am, don't you?!"), I turned the car around as requested and let him fill it up. When he got around to the front passenger side tire he said, "Oh, this one is low. And there's a screw in it. I'm going to put some extra air in it and then bring it back tomorrow to get a plug in it." I asked when they opened and he said, "10:00 a.m. Does that work?" "Sure," was my reply - just grateful that they were open on a Sunday at all. And then he said, "Actually, do you just want me to put the plug in it tonight? For a 'pretty please', I'll do it." Again, young man, you are a tad flirty but if it will save me a trip here tomorrow, "Pretty please then...and thank you." Plugged up in less than 5 minutes. Quick exchange to pay. And I was on my way. Home to make some cookies to take by there (and to the Kwik Kar on William Cannon) tomorrow to say "thanks". I realize that they are a business and I am a customer, but that doesn't mean I can't be grateful for them going the extra mile for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment