Monday, April 12, 2010

(different sort of) yoga Monday

Evidently I was a little more wiped out than I thought from our camping weekend...or so my body told me when my alarm went off for yoga this morning. So instead of enjoying Deralyn's class at Yoga Vida, I enjoyed my old Ali McGraw yoga video on my living room. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. But I had some breakthroughs this morning right here in my living room:
1 - I was actually able to focus on the video and not the cobwebs that desperately need to be wiped away from the corners of my living room
2 - the postures still felt like they were giving my body a good stretch and a good work out, and I knew what modifications to make to make things easier or more difficult...whatever was needed
3 - maybe being on my own doing yoga this morning was a good thing because it reminded me that I can practice myself, that you can do yoga at your own pace, and that even though you might not prefer it, you really can have a meaningful practice in your own living room
I didn't read myself a quotation or find some "thought for the day" but I was giving a lot of thought Andy Rooney's blurb about the passage of time last night. He talked about how we're always looking forward to things tomorrow instead of enjoying things today...about how we need to slow down, stop planning for the future, and savor every moment. Thought it was good advice and seemed very appropriate as I was returning from a weekend where I wanted to stop time, stay in camping mode, and live wholly in the present as I'd been able to do while camping. Yes, maybe that was the real gift of the weekend - being able to be still, living in the moment, not worry about what was happening (or not happening) at home... I'm not terribly good at these things but I'm trying to learn them by practicing them.

No comments: