Monday, April 19, 2010

yoga Monday

YAY...I actually made it to yoga this morning. And, as always, I was glad that I did. As is often the custom, Deralyn asked us to choose an intention. Today mine was very simple: BREATHE. I didn't do a whole lot of breathing last week and I wanted to at least start this week off breathing! As we worked through the class, in a hot room full of a little more incense than I care for (especially at 6:30 a.m.), Deralyn suggested that we re-focus. That we return to our mat if we've drifted away and that we not worry about how we were on the mat yesterday or last week or last year. That we check our yoga ego at the door and just be wherever we are today. Okay. Was she speaking to me? Maybe. Or maybe she was speaking to all of us and that's something we all struggle with.
Either way, it spoke to me...with regard to yoga and triathlons and life. For example, I have a race/"training day" in Galveston this weekend. It's a 70.3 so it's no small distance. I did it last year so I know the drill. But because I did it last year, I have a time on that course. And, because I am who I am, I want to beat that time from last year on that course. (Curses...maybe I need to only do courses once so I don't put myself in this predicament!) Glad that I went to yoga this morning because I need to ponder checking my triathlon ego at the door for the rest of the week and on Sunday for sure.
Okay, I need to do more than ponder it. I need to do it. I need to go into Sunday and let it be whatever it's going to be. It might be less humid than last year but more windy. It might be just as humid and hotter. It might be sunnier or cloudier or, or, or... Basically, I need to take the day for what it is, control the things I can control, listen to my body, feed from my fellow teammates and their energy and return it all the same...and not worry if I don't match or beat my time from last year. A million factors could affect that and it's only my ego getting in the way when I worry about not PRing. I could have a great race and somehow be slower. Got that ego? You better behave or you will be left behind when I head to Galveston on Saturday!
P.S. Unrelated to ego checking...Deralyn is no longer going to be teaching or 6:30 a.m. yoga class. So sad. Seriously, do my teachers and coaches know that I do not deal well with change?! I know, it's good for me and all of that stuff; but I much prefer my routine and some consistency. Feel like the past few months have been a good lesson in flexibility...and not the type you get from yoga.

No comments: