Monday, October 4, 2010

from yoga Monday to zen swim

Yes...that is what Mondays have become for me since yoga has now moved to Thursday. One of my teammates used to tease me about getting in some extra meters/yards at the end of each workout and I told him it was my "zen swim" time b/c I didn't think about anything (breathing, form, speed, etc...) I just did what I love to do...I swam. And this morning I got to do the same thing at Barton Springs on a chilly, fall morning with the mist hovering over the water and the sun making its way into the world while I saw away. Very few people there. Just the regulars and a few aqua joggers. And the peacefulness of the springs. And a swim there without a wetsuit. Okay, I'll admit it, the initial shock is quite intense but once I swim a 400 or 800 I'm used to it and it feels really nice to not be squeezed into neoprene while I swim. I can feel the water against my skin and I feel like I'm floating. Maybe not as much as I'm floating with a wetsuit! But floating through the water much more freely than if I were trying to be some long-lost neoprene-clad cousin of a seal. Besides, the long distance swims I want to do cannot be done with a wetsuit (according to the rules) so I need to get used to this!
I thought I was going to miss "yoga Mondays" but if I get to replace it with this, then it will be okay. There is something thought-provoking and wonderful about both places...and especially the springs as the weather gets colder, the crowds thin out, and the water feels warmer.
P.S. If I'm 80+ and still swimming in the springs, please let me be the lady with the flowers on her swimcap who jumps off the diving board...please, please, please!
P.P.S. My day ended with water, too...on the floor of my condo...from the folks up above me. Thank goodness for wood and tile floors and beach towels galore. But what a mess. New-found appreciation for anyone who's ever been flooded before. And now to bed...in hopes that I don't wish I'd slept with goggles on!

No comments: