Tuesday, December 28, 2010

peaceful warrior

According to Yoga Journal the "warrior pose can teach you how to act with wisdom, courage, and unwavering focus." Ah. Nice.
Today in yoga we hit "peaceful warrior" pose (see picture) several times and I simply fell in love with the idea of being a peaceful warrior. Maybe that is my persona for 2011.
In all of the warrior poses there is something about being firmly grounded by your legs - finding strength there - while at the same time reaching for the sky or the space around you - signifying rising energy. I love these ideas. I do want to remain rooted in what I know to be true, in my sources of strength, but I also want to be ever-reaching for new things, representing growth and evolution. And yet the whole idea of doing it all in a peaceful, organic way, makes me really happy. This pose definitely stretches you (literally and figuratively) and I feel like there are unlimited spaces of expansion. And yet I feel strong when I am there. Not so strong that I couldn't be toppled by a strong wind or a shove - that's the part that keeps us human and reminds us that we are vulnerable. But strong enough to not fall over at the slightest breeze - that's the part that reminds me that I have a strong foundation built up over 37 years of life. So although it's still a few days away, 2011 that is, I've already chosen by pose for the year - peaceful warrior - hooray!

No comments: