What happened to fortunes like "you will live a long and happy life" and "you will have good luck and overcome many hardships" and "romance comes into your life in a very unexpected way this year"? I used to be excited to open fortune cookies, wondering what funny little prediction of the future was inside that I could foolishly hold onto as some morsel of truth about my life...no matter that thousands of people would receive the same fortune that year!
The fortune I got today reminded me that fortunes are no longer fortunes but rather orders about how to live your life. They are nice thoughts and certainly good ideas about life and the world and love and work and peace and happiness and all of that stuff. But they've moved from being fun little predictions of your future to directions about how to live your life. The one I got today was no different: "Act always in a way to do good."
Now, I'll be the first to say that this is a great way to approach life...it's not that I mind the message. It's just that it's not a fortune!! But what do I know? Maybe these little sayings are making the world a better place one fortune cookie at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment