It's sort of funny to have now gone to places in Texas on my bike that I haven't even driven to! Places that are 100 miles away! Seriously! Today was the Shiner GASP...what a ride. It takes cyclists from Austin to Shiner via back country roads through beautiful central Texas. Reminder of what an awesome place this is to live!!! The weather was nice...not too hot, not very sunny...okay, it was a tad humid and windy but I'll take that over the freezing winds this past winter. And while the winds were much stronger than I had imagined while I was out there, I think maybe we're used to riding in them since it seems that every weekend Mother Nature has provided some wind for us. Today they built up to around 20 mph - good thing I didn't know that while I was out there.So many T3ers out there it seemed that every time I approached a group there was a T3 jersey in it...except for the groups with terrible bike etiquette. I have to say, that was more annoying than the wind to me! Passing on the right. Or passing on the left but not communicating. Groups literally swallowing us from behind, pushing us over to the gravel edge of the shoulder just before it becomes grass, and then spitting us out the back. It's a little scary when cyclists don't communicate or give one another room...I think maybe triathletes are so used to that because of no drafting rules and "on your left" being ingrained in our brains from races that we take for granted that everyone on a bike will be as safe and respectful. I was reminded today that this was not the case...still, it wasn't going to ruin my ride!
It just meant that I carved out my usual little "etg pocket" in the wind and did my own thing. My own 15 mph thing. I swear, I was laughing with Karen the other day when we were talking about our consistent speeds, and I told her that I keep hearing that song from Fiddler on the Roof "If I Were a Wealthy Man" and the line in it that says, "Would it spoil some vast eternal plan if I were a wealthy man?" when I'm thinking about my hang up with 15 mph on the bike. "Would it spoil some vast eternal plan, if I were a little faster on the bike?" Kidding! Sort of. I'm not kidding about becoming faster on the bike but I certainly don't deserve that improvement this season. This season was about improving my running...next season it can be the bike. Got to leave something to keep coming back for! (Don't worry, there will ALWAYS be plenty in the world of ETG + triathlons!)
But today's ride was an accomplishment of other things...if not speed. The course was mostly rollers - typical central Texas - with some flatter stretches, too. Pretty decent roads except for one stretch. And plenty of rest stops to refuel, refill, and relieve ourselves - although we only stopped at some of them, mostly to get more water to stay hydrated. I started off with Amy, Karen, Nancy, Val, Jerry, Jane, Vegas, and Dayna but pretty soon Amy and I were on our own (as far as T3 folks go)...and I was doing my best to stay up with Amy. She's gotten so fast on the bike...and on the run! I held on, always keeping her in sight and pacing myself for the long haul. We had a solid ride...picked up some good speed before the wind picked up...and then hunkered down and finished it off. We hooked up with Shawnda, Lindsey, and Rhonda for the finish - even though we were spread out over 20 minutes or so it was great to have people to ride into Shiner with. Lindsey and I road the last 5 miles together and that was fun (I found out later that she'd had two flats...and still a smile on her face. I'm not sure I would have!). And Blythe and I were there to greet Amy when she finished her first 100 miler!!! I'm SO proud of her. Seriously, she rocked this ride.
And I'm so proud of all of the T3ers who showed great determination and heart today. Something like wind can really tempt you to fall apart and lose track of what you set out to do and our team pulled together and helped one another to a strong finish. AWESOME!
Post-ride...showers...an ice cold Coke (where did that craving come from?!)...and then a blizzard at Dairy Queen (Heath bar...yum...but I'm glad that Amy & I split it)...and finally some BBQ at Kreuz Market in Lockhart with Noah, Chrissie, Amy, Suzanne, Blythe, Joe, Chris, Liz, Mo, Michelle, and Sean before heading back to Austin. (Sorry, Meredith...I know that is probably not the best idea of a post-ride recovery meal. I figured if I could eat anything while I was on the bike maybe I could also eat anything after I got off the bike?! Does it count to know that if someone had handed me a blizzard on the bike I would have eaten it then, too!?!) HUGE thanks to Chrissie and Amy for doing the "Shiner Shuffle" yesterday with cars. It was such a treat to have a car to go home in...I owe you.
P.S. Feeling strong at the end of the 100 miles (or 101 according to someone's bike computer...mine wasn't working...unless you consider having a cadence of 285 working?!), was a huge boost for me. Don't get me wrong - I was grateful when Joe walked up to me and said, "Why don't you let me take your bike?" No brainer! Thank you, Joe - but I felt solid throughout the ride which was a nice feeling. Maybe all this training stuff is paying off?! Now to get a good night's sleep...shouldn't be a problem. This girl is tired!
No comments:
Post a Comment