Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent...and it's usually a time when I give something up or add something to my daily life. And, well, I'm at a total loss this year. Oh, there are plenty of ways for my life to be cleaned up and improved and for me to be a better person and all of that, and it probably wouldn't kill me to give up chocolate or sugar for 40 days. But if the point of Lent is to give up something or add something to your life to help you be more reflective, I don't think that my daily square of chocolate is standing in the way of that. Maybe I'm totally missing the point of Lent? But I think I'm just going to re-visit my New Year's intentions each day as my Lenten discipline. They mean more to me than something else I might concoct for just these 40 days.
And with that, I'm off to eat my piece of dark chocolate, find where I wrote my intentions down, take a look at them again, and then head to bed...I do think one of them had something to do with my training and keeping a balance...and that balance includes sleep! Got a nice 13-miler ahead of me tomorrow at the crack of dawn...woo-hoo!
(P.S. I sort of laugh when I hear the word "discipline" associated with Lent because that is one area where I think I've actually been observing Lent for about 36 years...sometimes to an extreme - being too disciplined. I don't need 40 days to snap me into shape there!)

No comments: