Do you ever have those moments when you're listening to a song, a sermon, a speech, even just someone talking and you feel as if whatever is being said is being directed right at you? I can remember those moments even as a little girl. Especially in church. I would sit in the pew and try to disappear into the cushion that was holding me up thinking, "How did he know that about me?" Or sometimes a teacher would explain something that had been puzzling me but I hadn't said anything. I would think, "She really does know everything. She can even read my mind." Or I would hear a song on the radio and think it was written just for me for whatever relationship I was in (or not in!), for whatever emotion I was feeling, for whatever words I needed to hear.
Well, I still have those moments. And I would say I get to experience them at least once a week (but usually much more) in yoga class when Deralyn offers an intention or reads something to us. Today's intention - resistance. Well, actually, letting go of resistance, I guess.
Again a quotation from Melody Beattie that left me thinking about it long after our final savasana:
What are you resisting most?
Be open to the whole journey, all parts of it.
Is there a feeling, a person, a thought, a project that you have been avoiding? Is there some part of your life that you're refusing to deal with or open up to? Is there something you're resisting, something that makes you stubbornly say no? Ignore the voice that says, This is how I decided it will be, so I will close off to that part; I will not consider it. That is the voice of resistance.
Be open to everything. Your most valuable lessons may well come from the things you're resisting most.
Yep. One of those sitting in the church pew, teacher is talking only to me, song was written just for me right now moments as I felt my head nodding to nearly each suggestion that the quotation made. Seriously. How did Deralyn know? Of course, she didn't really know. And maybe that's the coolest part of it all...I'm not the only one that feels this way. Stuff like this becomes part of books and songs and sermons because it's a universal human feeling. Today, it just happened to strike a particularly sensitive chord in my heart. On to being more open to everything and to giving in to what I'm resisting most. I have to say that makes me excited and scared. Maybe mostly scared.
No comments:
Post a Comment