"Don't sleep with mean people."
Okay, so out of context this makes no sense. But I just came from my cousin* Dodd's show - The Rap Guide to Evolution - and my brain is sort of spinning with everything that the show said and represented. And while I can't say that I agree with it all 100%, it certainly was clever and smart and intriguing and entertaining and a VERY worthwhile way to spend a Friday night in NYC. And the bottom line - "don't sleep with mean people" - is perhaps a universally good thing to keep in mind. The actor follows up that bit of advice with "think of your granddaughters and your grandsons" and pretty much says that you have to think about what could come out of your relationships...do you want your gene pool to be riddled with meanness?
I'm expanding this advice to the steps before you might sleep with someone and saying "don't associate with mean people...don't be friends with mean people...don't encourage mean people by being in any sort of relationship with them." Eventually, maybe that meanness will go away? Either through a lack of procreation or a lack of friends or community or encouragement or something...and a little less meanness in the world sounds like a good thing to me.
(*So...Dodd is technically a cousin of a cousin. We share first cousins in all of my Morrow cousins so we like to say that we're cousins, too. Dodd and I agreed on this so it's all good.)
No comments:
Post a Comment