Wednesday, July 27, 2011

walking Wednesday

Because when you're in NYC, that's what you do - you walk. Or at least it's what I do. I did take the subway once today and will take it again tonight to meet Logan and Dodd for dinner (SO EXCITED TO SEE THEM!). But, in general, I love being in cities like NYC because you CAN walk everywhere. And although the pictures that I'm about to post also prove that in the "city that doesn't sleep" there are places to put up your feet and sit for a while, you should know that in between those two resting times (which were LOVELY and people-watching heaven) I walked. From the High Line - which is AMAZING and something you must go to when you're in NYC next - to NYU/Washington Square Park passing by The New School along the way...and then from Washington Square all the way up to the Upper West Side finishing off with a stroll through Central Park (where I also started my day with a jog).
So...the High Line is this very cool park on an old train trestle that goes through several neighborhoods near Chelsea. They are opening it bit by bit but it is just awesome. You have no idea you are smack dab in NYC! I found some chaise lounges (awesome!) and plopped on one (evidence in the picture at the left) and read for a good hour+. Iced coffee from Blue Bottle Coffee in one hand, my book in the other, sunshine that crept on to my feet and eventually became too much so that I decided to move on but was lovely while it was not so intense...I was a happy camper. When I needed a break from my reading there were dance troupes, kids playing in a very cool "fountain", and people walking by in some of the most amazing outfits you have seen. I forgot this about NYC because I don't come here that often, but people will wear anything. Even things that they probably "shouldn't" be wearing (I do realize they might be saying that about me!). But it's amazingly free that way. Anyway, I highly recommend the High Line to anyone who's visiting the city...here are a few more pictures (from someone more handy with the camera than I...):
The chaise lounges that I was talking about...
And another part of the High Line...
Only after Mr. Sun booted me from my chaise lounge did I wander over to Washington Square. I love that it's so easy to find your way in NYC. The walk was lovely. Through different neighborhoods, hearing the typically diverse languages, taking it all in. And on a GORGEOUS day. Not too hot (unless you're so directly in the sun like I was), humid but not unbearable, and moments of respite from it all in the shade. Which is what I found in Washington Square. A perfect place to rest my legs again and read some more of my book. The scenery ain't bad either...and loads of people watching. TONS of kids summer camps - a very different type of "camp" than the one I know but this is "city camp" I guess. And at least three groups of little ones came through the park while I was sitting there and they were a sight to behold. And so hilarious in their observations. Wish I'd snapped a photo of them but I wasn't fast enough. With music playing, people splashing in the fountain, hula hoopers hula hooping, it was tough to pry me from that spot. But a grumbling tummy (oops...somehow lunch got lost in the wanderings of the day) and the fact that I'd somehow outlasted anyone who was there within my eyesight when I sat down lured me away...to wander back up 5th Avenue all the way to the park...and then home. For just a spell, until dinner...love it.

No comments: