I've been doing a lot of thinking about freedom today. From the seemingly insignificant freedoms that I have to the really big freedoms that I have. Ashamedly, I must admit that I really do take my freedoms for granted in that I rarely stop and think about my freedoms - from the "big" ones that are protected by our constitution here in the United States to the "small" ones that I enjoy because of where I am in my life or in this country/city or because of my race, etc... . And when I think about all of that, I feel overwhelmed with a sense of appreciation and gratitude. And I try to remember that no freedom is insignificant...or at least it wouldn't feel that way if you were in danger of losing it. I don't know why I'm feeling this more profoundly this year than I have in other years. Maybe it's a by-product of two weeks on a Navajo reservation and doing a lot of thinking about their freedoms...or lack thereof...over the course of history...and currently. Maybe it's because there is so much unrest in the world that I can't help but be mindful of the many, many people who do not have much freedom. Or any freedom at all. In a very childish way I wish I had a magic wand to wave over the world and grant freedom to everyone...but instead I've made a point (at least today, but hopefully for many days to come) to be grateful and prayerful. Grateful to everyone who has ever done anything to preserve my freedoms. And prayerful for those who do not have the same freedoms that I do. That's my 4th of July wish.A little 4th of July treat to myself...yoga class with Deralyn. It was awesome. As I knew it would be. Letting my head hang and letting things roll off and out of it. Amazing to me how heavy it was/is...too much thinking? Maybe it's time for more feeling...re-setting that head-heart connection that always seems to be in need of a re-set for me! Also got to spend some time with Erin and Joe (and Sam and June)...and my plants...and my condo as my weekend 'o cleaning/organizing comes to a close. What a relief to have the bulk of it behind me. There is still much to be done, but the biggest challenges are behind me. Or so I think!
Hoping to catch some fireworks on TV tonight as (all?) shows around Austin have been canceled because it's so dry...funny how I didn't realize that nearly all of my 4th of Julys for a long time had some fireworks as part of them. Even if it was by chance on a drive home from someplace else or because I could walk outside of my house and see them over Town Lake. Glad for those memories to take me through these dry spells...and while I'm wishing for things like freedom for all, I'll also wish for some rain!! Happy 4th of July friends...here's to all of the freedoms that we enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment