I told myself a while ago (translation...back in February when I was recovering from shin splints and ran the SAS cross country trail a few times) that I wanted to try my hand (err...feet) at trail running sometime. Truth be told, I think I actually said (well, blogged) that I might consider something crazy like a long trail run. Like SunMart (which I don't think really exists anymore) or Bandera or something. Obviously, you need to build up to a long trail run like that so the trail runs at the Dirty Du seemed like a good option. I actually almost signed up for the 1/2 marathon trail run, reasoning that I would have just come off of Conroe and would be in 1/2 marathon shape. Thankfully Amy talked some sense into me and reminded me that it would be my first trail run and that maybe, just maybe, I should start with the 5K. THANK GOODNESS FOR AMY! The day turned out to be not such a dry day...the day before had been even worse. And what that means for a trail run is mud and puddles...and mud puddles. The puddles are actually a good footwash, which is awesome after you've run through mud. Michelle and I drove out to Bastrop early Saturday morning with plenty of time to spare (and get Starbuck's!). The crowd doing the 5K was supposed to be about 40 large and ended up being maybe 20 or so. I think the cold, overcast, dreary weather kept folks away. And those of us who braved the elements were probably wondering why we weren't in our cozy beds.
But we forged ahead and encountered the joys along the trail - namely the "peanut butter" mud that literally grips your shoes as you try to maneuver your way through it. Turns out that in spite of the wet conditions, I really like trail running. It's interesting. There are obstacles. The scenery is (can be) great. You always have to be using your brain. And, well, you get to pretend like you are a little kid running through the woods!
However, I did learn a few things: 1) do not wear shoes with E-Z lock elastic laces (or anything like that) if it's muddy...the mud acts as a suction, you go to pull your shoe up, and all that happens is that elastic laces stretch and stretch and stretch... And you are just praying you don't lose your shoe! 2) I stink at running downhill...seriously slow for downhill. But I'm not 1/2 bad at the uphill part. 3) Sometimes a clump of grass can be your best friend - whether you're grasping it in the hopes that it will hold you up so you don't slip down the mud hillside, whether you are planting your hand in it to avoid falling, or whether you are running on it alongside the trail just to gain some traction. 4) Pick a race where there will be showers/hoses at the end...you get seriously dirty if it's muddy at all. Dirty is fine for a race and just after a race. But when it's cold and you want to put on clean clothes, a shower is your best friend (right after the clump of grass).
Long story short...I'll do this again! And maybe build up to the 1/2 marathon distance. Good times! (Plus, this race is followed by the always great High Five Event celebrations...cooking out...a bike toss...the possibility of camping...and the Dirty Du the next day - which I would like to watch someday...not into the mountain biking thing yet!)
1 comment:
Let me know if you ever want to do a trail run! Here are some races for next year: http://www.hillcountrytrailrunners.com/hctr_cal_race.shtml
Vegas and I need to do some Greenbelt/Walnut Creek runs soon. Our only concern are the flowing creeks!
Post a Comment