November means a lot of things to me, but it always starts off with the Race for the Cure. Being the daughter of a breast cancer survivor - go Mom!!! - I do this race every year. I actually think I'd do it even if my mom hadn't battled cancer but it is even more special to me because she did. Anyway, it always falls right around (sometimes on) my birthday and a few years ago (I think when I turned 30 and was freaking out about that a little), I decided that I needed to make sure to improve my time in this race each year. It's a silly little game that I play with myself. And one day it's going to catch up with me and it's not going to work; but since 2006, I've managed to win this match!11/6/2005 - 27:16
11/5/2006 - 27:48
11/4/2007 - 27:07
11/2/2008 - 25:17
11/1/2009 - 24:57
Not sure whether or not this year really counts...or maybe it counts double. Anyway, we ran a new and different course so I figured I automatically had a PR! But either way I look at it, I did, and that's fun.
But what's even better is that there were well over 16,000 people registered for the Austin Race for the Cure. In fact, I heard somewhere that it was around 19,000 which is just AWESOME. More awareness and more money raised to combat breast cancer and anyone who's ever had anyone close to them battle this disease can celebrate that.
I also celebrated this 1st day of November...which was a GLORIOUS fall day, by the way - cool morning, bright sunshine during the day, mid-70s, cool evening...by spending time with Amy (first in-person catch-up since her marathon - yay!), cooking, doing laundry, grocery shopping, and cleaning. I know. It's not that exciting to most people but it's a little early b'day present to myself. Although I hated to miss two parties this weekend, I really needed this downtime at home. (The little hermit in me comes out every once in a while.) And it's just nice to start the new month with a clean slate...or at least a clean house.
Study is tidy again with everything filed and/or recycled and/or on its way to the shredder. Front of the house is still neat. And the bedroom is picked up...need to resolve a few issues there but that will come in time.
Tomatoes from Jim have been made into a tomato pie with lots of fresh basil and feta...YUM! And chicken is in the slow cooker. Some bran muffins for the week are next on the "to do" list. And then I'll be all set for the week. Want to make sure I'm eating well this week since I have a 1/2 Ironman at the end of it...yikes! How did that creep up on me?! Or maybe, I can't believe it's finally here.
Anyway, feeling good about November already...and loving the extra hour of sleep I got last night.
1 comment:
thanks for my yummy cup of coffee and porch sit. a lovely way to break into a Sunday.
Post a Comment