Monday, December 15, 2008

"34...feels like 22"


No, this is not a "34 is the new 22" post! It's an "oh, my goodness, it's COLD" post. I don't think it ever got above 40 today and when we were at our specialty run tonight (short hill, long hill...with drills in the neighborhood to shield us from the wind that nearly blew is over during core) it was 34 but felt like 22. We had an efficient workout - no one wanted to stand around for very long (or make Logan stand around for very long) - with the 7 of us who were there (Jess was back which made me really excited!). But if the weather folks in Austin are right and it is a colder winter than usual, everyone better get ready! I'm actually glad I've had these runs in the cold. They make me feel energized in a really bizarre way...and I know what to wear (and what not to wear!), how long it will take me (on average) to warm up, how quickly I need to get into my car, and how long it will take me to defrost after a practice. I feel like I need to be keeping a clothing log right next to my nutrition log in my training log!
Hitting the pool tomorrow morning - I absolutely LOVE swimming in this cold weather. Yeah! (Hoping that it doesn't sleet tonight and make the roads too dangerous to navigate. I'm not kidding:
Issued by The National Weather Service
Austin/San Antonio, TX
11:35 am CST, Mon., Dec. 15, 2008
... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 12 PM CST TUESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 12 PM CST TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS FOR FREEZING RAIN AND LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE. THE ADVISORY AREA IS GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM SCHULENBURG TO SAN ANTONIO TO LEAKEY. THIS INCLUDES AUSTIN AND SAN ANTONIO. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN AND FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING FOR PORTIONS OF THE HILL COUNTRY AND SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS.... A STRONG COLD FRONT HAS USHERED IN A COLD ARCTIC AIRMASS ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS AND THE HILL COUNTRY. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO OR BELOW FREEZING THIS EVENING ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA AND WILL REMAIN AT OR BELOW FREEZING THRU MIDDAY TUESDAY. MOISTURE OVERRUNNING THE COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING WILL RESULT IN A MIX OF FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN. EXPOSED STRUCTURES SUCH AS BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL BE SUBJECT TO ICE ACCUMULATIONS MAKING TRAVEL HAZARDOUS. Taking a break from spin tomorrow night so I can give my body a rest, get a little extra work done at school, and finish up some errands around town...like mailing Christmas presents to my NC family so I don't have to worry about hauling them to New Orleans and then on to Charlotte. Which means I need to pull out the Christmas wrapping paper tonight - or maybe I'll wrap and box everything up tomorrow and swing by the post office on Wednesday a.m. on my way to work. Decisions. Decisions.

No comments: