
Here are all the oddities of the day:
- woke up to snow/heavy frost on the tops of cars and the bbq pit in the courtyard
- finally caught up with some college reps that I've been trying to track down for a week
- got some news that reminded me that sometimes the universe works in our favor
- and I ran a mile in 7:41 tonight
I really can't explain any of those things! Okay, the first one can be explained by meteorology...but the others are a "go figure?" in my life.
Especially the last one since it's the one I theoretically have more control over. After a hard core class this morning with lots of lunges, squats, and other leg stuff. In the cold and windy weather - all bundled up in about four layers since it was in the low 40s by the time we were running (and feeling like the upper 30s). And after feeling like I've been battling some nasty germs that would like to become a full-blown cold. (I'm winning that battle, by the way - armed with Emergen-C and Mucinex!) How I managed to run at that pace, I have no idea. (And the wind was not working as enough of a tailwind to give it credit!)
Anyway, the fastest I've ever run for time was the last time we did mile repeats. I shocked myself by running the last one at 7:57. I seriously had no clue that I could go sub-8:00 on a mile. And then tonight we weren't doing mile repeats - only one mile at a 5K pace - but still, I ran that mile in 7:41. What's up with that?! I'm glad that Yvonne was there - she always keeps me going since I'm usually trying to keep up with her.
After the first mile, we did an 800 (3:52 - actually in line with our 5K pace 800m from last week!), then a 400 (1:56), then a 200 (not sure of my time - maybe 0:56 or 0:58), then another 400 (1:58), then a final 800 (3:53). I don't think we were necessarily supposed to get slower on those last two (the final 400 and 800), but I was working to correct my running form (arms mostly...), so I'll take that into account. Overall - a really satisfying practice.
I realized the other day that I no longer get nervous before going to run practices. I haven't ever dreaded them (if T3 - and Logan mostly since he coaches all of our run workouts - only knew what an accomplishment it is that there are run workouts in the world that I don't dread!!!); but I used to get really worried that I wouldn't be able to do them or that I'd be the slowest one or that I'd never see any improvement. But I don't feel that way any more. I know I can do the workouts. And if I am the slowest one, so what? As long as I'm giving it my all, I'm okay with that. And I have definitely seen improvement. Yeah for what training and coaches can do for you! Makes me happy to get out there - even in the cold weather. (Oh, yeah, there were about 10 of us at practice tonight...I lost that bet.)
It's supposed to be cold again tomorrow - high around 60. Core was chilly at the beginning but leave it to Chrissie to get us all working hard and have us sweating in no time. It was a big crowd this morning - sort of surprising since it was so cold. I thought people would just stay in their warm beds. Shows you what happens when you have a bunch of Type As in the same training group...
Swimming tomorrow morning and I'm actually excited! I love swimming any time but I especially love it in the cold weather. The air is so biting that it forces you into the water quickly...the steam from the warm water makes you feel okay about jumping in...but the getting out is bad! Thank goodness for sweatshirts and swim parkas.
I always feel oddly energized when the weather is cold like this so today was sort of "full of little kid excitement" day...and I plowed through a bunch of stuff at work. Thankfully. Off to finish that up...and then get to bed. Hopefully before midnight tonight!
3 comments:
ROCK ON GIRL!!!!!! :)
Hell yea you ran that 7:41! AND I bet without all that cold weather, wind, and extra layers it would have been like a 7:30s :D You should give yourself more credit on what you are capable of, because you are so much better than you know!
Steph..... A sub 7:30 is in your future. We'll get your there.
Post a Comment