Sunday, August 16, 2009

trying to be...

...a little speedier when I race.
When I met with Chrissie a few weeks ago, I pretty much confessed that I wasn't sure I'd ever really gone "all out" on a race before. I usually stay in my comfort zone, push it a little, but try to make sure that I feel like I can finish strong - maybe with a little left in the tank. I am not sure that I emptied the tank today but I came pretty darn close.
Had a solid swim...caught up with the wave(s) in front of me and felt like I was able to get into some groove and move through the water pretty swiftly. Actually passed people on the bike. You should know that usually I only get passed on the bike so this was pretty exciting. But of everything, I'm most excited about my run. I felt strong, I picked up the last mile, and I just had a great day of it. For all of the training we put in, you never really know what race day will bring. So I'm grateful for a good one. And for awesome teammates to be on the race course with. And for wonderful teammates who were there cheering us on. And just for the ability to do this in general.
And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about - just getting out there and doing it. But I suppose it won't kill me to keep searching for some speed and try to learn how to "race" and actual race. Who knows, I might just have some fun doing it...I certainly did today!
P.S. Congrats to all of the T3 racers out there today...we swept not only the podium but also had the best (and largest?) group of volunteers, in addition to the largest group of participants. Great day to be wearing blue!

1 comment:

Hua said...

What a great post! I'm encouraged to start training again!