Monday, August 31, 2009

yoga tidbits

Today's yoga class was all about being present. Recognizing that we'd never been in that very moment before. That we'd never been exactly this person in this moment before. There's something powerful about thinking that way. It means we always have a chance to do something new, to do something different, to be a better person. Cool.
I felt powerful in yoga this morning and not only because I think I might actually be getting stronger in my practice. But because I really tried to stay grounded and focused. Our teacher, Deralyn, kept bringing us back to our practice and to the room. To our breath and to our mat.
And in the background, the empowering words "strength, courage, and wisdom" coming from the speakers. When repeated over and over again, even I come to believe it's within me.
What a great way to start the week. (Not to mention the good stretch it provides after our long Sunday runs!) Oh, and the final message - the importance of the final savasana or corpse pose. It's the way we end each practice and it's both relaxing and energizing. My favorite part is when we're reminded that our hands are open to the sky in order to receive all that the world has to offer us.

No comments: