Monday, August 10, 2009

yoga moment

I usually think of yoga as a thoughtful, smooth flow from one posture another. And today was no different. Until we had the chance to move into the wheel.
Background: the class had already been given the opportunity to move into a handstand. Amy and I took one look at one another and shook our heads...with a little smirk. Many people in the class already had their legs in the air. Maybe someday!
When wheel came around the option was bridge or wheel. Again, Amy and I looked at one another and shook our heads. First time around, bridge was it for me. Second time around, without any intention, I was suddenly in wheel. It was weird, I didn't think about it. I didn't get nervous about it. I just tried it...and up I went. It was sort of cool. It's been at least a year since I've even tried it - sure I couldn't do it, afraid of falling on my head and breaking my neck or something. But today, fears vanished and I was doing it.
And...drumroll...I also managed to do the yoga push-ups that have been a problem for me the past few weeks. That was exciting, too.
So, I'm finding new things each time I go to yoga...I'm pushing myself into new places...I'm discovering that I'm capable of more than I thought. And that I still have lots of room to grow.

No comments: