Gran, "What are you doing?"Elizabeth, "Just coming back from spin class. Getting ready to eat some dinner and then get ready for bed so I can get up and meet friends to run tomorrow morning. How are you?"
Gran, "I'm fine. Elizabeth, guess what I did today?"
Elizabeth, "Lord only knows, Gran."
Gran, "I went to exercise! I couldn't actually do anything today because you have to have an appointment. No one told us that. And I'll have to have one of my sitters with me because some of the handles on the machines are too hard for me to turn with my arthritis. But I'm going to try to go back again next week. Next time I want to at least do something. It really isn't worth it if you only show up and don't do anything."
So...when I wonder where I get the energy or the drive or the passion or the whatever it takes to get me to the pool, to the trail, on my bike, to the PTC, to yoga, to the track, to the hills...it's all here in my genes. In the example of my 92 year-old grandmother who uses a cane and/or a walker and has had three hip surgeries (including one replacement) in the past year and a half, has a pacemaker and terrible arthritis...and is still going to exercise. I've got a tough act to follow! And I will gladly try!
No comments:
Post a Comment