Saturday, October 31, 2009

boo humbug

I talked to Gran today and she said, "Are you doing anything for Halloween? You know you've never liked Halloween." I had to laugh because Mom said something similar earlier in the week. Not sure why I don't like Halloween but it is probably my least favorite holiday. I guess everyone is allowed to have a holiday that they don't really like all that much, right? I don't have any reason to have anything against it. I love candy. I like the idea of trick-or-treating. And I think some of the costumes I see each year are hilarious, clever, and cute. Maybe I just can't ever come up with one of those?!
But even as a kid, I never wanted to choose a costume. And although I did do my fair share of trick-or-treating, I think I was actually best at saving the candy that I acquired. Go figure. My friend Blythe and I would have contests - who could save their candy the longest. One year we both lasted until Easter, at which point our wise mothers said "Game over" and pitched the Mr. Goodbars and Twizzlers in the garbage. I'm not sure who won; I'm betting on me.
Anyway, my Halloween was spent enjoying a GORGEOUS day in Austin with a bike ride this morning (with Jane and Catharine - thanks, girls!) and then running much needed errands before settling in at home to cook and clean. Yes, this condo of mine wouldn't have needed any cobwebs from the store to become a "haunted house" but it's now clean as a whistle. Well, maybe not quite that clean but MUCH cleaner than yesterday. I'm not sure how it goes from manageable to unmanageable overnight but sometimes it does. Still have some pick-up work to do in my study but that is a chore for Sunday...
P.S. Thanks to Catharine for the appropriate title of my blog.

No comments: