Guys, please don't take offense to this but I just have to take a moment and say, "Thank goodness for girlfriends!" I wish that I could find the speech that my 8th grade English teacher, Mrs. Johnson, delivered at one point when we were in high school. (Note: it was an all girls' school so it was appropriate...although I remember thinking at the time that maybe she was just trying to make us feel better about not having boys around!) It was all about the value of female friends. She also talked about the virtues of marriage and all sorts of friendships and relationships. But I remember her saying that it would be your girlfriends who showed up when you found out you had cancer or were pregnant or had gotten engaged or had just had your heart broken or just needed someone to talk to. They will show up with food for you or your family when you need a meal. They will bring the ice cream or wine or pizza over when you need comfort food. And they will bring the champagne when it's time to celebrate. They will hold your hand when you're waiting for test results or when you're just plain scared. They will come and sit with you when a loved one is dying just so that you're not alone. They will not let you hide even when you want to...or at least not for very long. Plain and simple: they will just keep showing up. Even when know they don't know exactly what they can do for you. Because they know that sometimes you can't even begin to ask for what you need; but as soon as someone is there or someone calls or someone sends an email or a text, you find that having someone to go through whatever it is with you is just the thing you need. They know that hearing kind words from someone makes it all bearable. Or that even just being reminded that someone else is thinking about you softens the pain.I'm not saying that guys aren't capable of this but as girls we just seem naturally wired this way! And, guys, I suspect it's the same for you - you need guy friends because you need friends who are wired like you are.
I've been especially blessed by wonderful girlfriends all of my life...from my days at camp as a child...through high school...into college...and now in my life beyond college. And just this week as I've watched friends go through tough times and how their girlfriends have rallied around them, I was reminded once again of the value of these friends. And I've been reminded of it personally, too, when I've found myself in old patterns that I need to bust out of or at least take a good hard look at. My girlfriends are great to bounce ideas off of, remind me of my strengths, and give me those pep talks when I need them...or set me straight and tell me that I'm acting or thinking crazy! What a lucky, lucky girl I am...to have SO many friends...girls and guys...but my shout out today is for the girls.
2 comments:
Yeah! 100% agree.
Yep. Nothing like girl pals. I have some wonderful ones. More than a few with whom I can open up. A treasure chest of confidants. P.S. I love your blog, etg!
Post a Comment