Tuesday, March 16, 2010

my latest crazy athletic idea

So, while we were in Daytona, Furtsch and I started talking about swimming - she swims with a group in Charlotte. And she said, "Hey...do you want to swim around Key West with me?" I had an appropriately puzzled look on my face so when we got home from dinner we Googled the swim: http://www.swimaroundkeywest.com/
12.5 miles. You can do it solo, with another person, or with 2 other people. Water temps - 74-85 degrees...I wouldn't even have to wear a wetsuit! The water is shallow and apparently you can see lots of fish. Which is fine with me as long as they are SMALL fish. Big fish and ETG in the water are not a happy match. On a two-person team, each person swims about 6 miles (well, a little over to get the .5 added to the 12 miles). From the pictures it looks like there is a lot of sunscreen involved...and that everyone gets a medal. No 2-person female teams in 2009 so I think that means that Furtsch and I could have won that category :) Obviously, this is just a thought right now...for 2011. (Anyone else want to join in the swimming fun?) Not 2010 because that's the day before IM CDA 2010 and I think that would be problematic!
Oh, and Furtsch and her husband, S.R., are looking into hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail...I can't wait to hear about it and told her to preview it for me. I love that I'm lining up future outdoors, fitness oriented challenges in my mind - hiking, trail running, open water swimming...who knows what else. It doesn't mean I'm over IM training. In fact, I'm in the thick of it right now and still feeling really fulfilled by it and loving it. But it's nice to imagine new adventures, too, to remind myself that I'm more than an Ironman.
P.S. Happy birthday, Cam - good to talk to you today!

4 comments:

Jess said...

i'm up for both the swim and the AT...i have wanted to hike the AT since i was 13 :D

plain-jane said...

Jerry wants to do the Appalachian Trail too. I'm sure we could get the get-a-long trail gang to go. Keep us in mind :)

Amy said...

That swim sounds incredible. I've always wanted to do the Lake Travis Relay. It's a little less exotic, but a lot closer to home. Might be a good practice run if you decide to do Key West. I think longer swims are definitely in my future, if I can ever get it together. Maybe not English Channel.. yet.. but it'd be damn fun to get enough together for a Lake Travis Relay!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You definitely don't want me on your swim relay team, but it sounds like a blast!!!