As I sat in the gym today for St. Andrew's Day at school, I thought to myself, "Yes, this is good. " I wasn't exactly sure what my inner voice meant by "good" but something felt good about sitting in a gym with close to 1,000 people, many of them who are dear friends, students, relatives of students and former students, colleagues...this wonderful, ever-growing circle of people who are a special Austin family to me. We all felt connected by this wonderful place called St. Andrew's. We were all a part of something bigger than ourselves, bigger than individual relationships and yet made up nearly entirely of those relationships.
The first graders that we were sitting with made it nearly impossible for me to dwell on the concept of "good" but the Middle School choir brought it back up again when they sang"For Good" from Wicked. The words from the chorus - "Who can say if I've been changed for the better? Because I knew you, I have been changed for good" - because it was just how I felt about the St. Andrew's community as something bigger than all of us and as I thought about my individual relationships within that whole. I have indeed been changed for good by being at St. Andrew's. Hope others can and would say the same because honestly, I think we all have been changed in some way for having been part of the SAS community. Feeling lucky that I've been changed for the better.
1 comment:
i never thought i would miss sitting in that gym, but after reading this, i really do!
Post a Comment