Monday, December 14, 2009

yoga intention


Today Amy and I got a treat...a yoga class to ourselves! With Deralyn...one of our favorite instructors! We're always asked to set an intention for the class and most days I can come up with one but today I had nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. And as if Deralyn had read my mind she said, "If you don't have a specific intention for today then maybe your intention is to be open to whatever comes to you during the practice." Sounded like a plan.
And then I thought about that idea for my life...being open to whatever comes my way. Being open to walking through doors as they appear, even if I'm not 100% sure of what's on the other side. Being open to new ideas, even if they scare me a little. Being open to new pain (either physical as I prepare for another IM training season or emotional as I push myself to new places in relationships or self-discovery/improvement).
I'm not a closed-minded person. But I think like a lot of us, I often stick with what's safe and comfortable. I sometimes hold back on a long run because I'm afraid I will bonk. (But, as Chrissie advised me, I won't ever know my real limits unless I do bonk a few times! Got it...bonking allowed...perhaps even encouraged! Just not all the time.) I sometimes hold my tongue when I really should just let the words fly...not in a careless or hurtful way but in an honest and heartfelt way. I have shied away from adventures and relationships and opportunities because I didn't know where they were leading...because I wasn't sure they were safe. I think part of my being open to new things means letting go of needing that security and just "going with the flow", letting my heart lead just as much as I let my head lead, and being open to thinking about such things in a new way. Cool.
It's a little too early for New Year's resolutions, I realize this. And I don't always even make New Year's resolutions. But maybe in 2010, I'll set a bunch of intentions...maybe 10 of them since it's 2010? Or 36 of them since I'll be 36 for 11 months of the year? That feels like a lot! Or maybe 12 of them...one for each month? So many ways to configure it. And plenty of days to ponder that. Maybe I'll just throw that idea out into the cosmos and be open to whatever idea settles in my soul come January 1, 2010...that seems to be in the right spirit for all of this.

No comments: