Tuesday, December 22, 2009

my AMAZING Gran!

So many of you who read this blog have heard a lot about Gran...her hip surgeries...her heart problems...her evacuation from and return to New Orleans post-Katrina...the fact that she's 92 and amazingly spunky and with it...oh, and she's the Saints newest fan! In true athlete style, she rallied from the Saints' defeat over the weekend and had a victory of her own on Monday. She's been on a walker since her (third) hip surgery a year and one month ago. And she hates the walker. She thinks it makes her look old and feeble, and she's very self-conscious about it even though we've assured her that PLENTY of people have walkers - particularly 90+ year olds. Well, Gran has been wanting nothing more than to ditch the walker and return to her cane and so every physical therapist who comes to work with her gets the hard sell to let her do this. Her current PT, a wonderful woman named Kim, agreed to let her give it a go.
And on Monday, from the dining room, I hear Gran yelling, "Elizabeth, Terry, come see..." Mom and I hurried in and there was Gran on her first lap around the dining room table with her cane. She was SO excited. Around the table, up the stairs, to the back of the house, and then back down again. She did three laps with a big old grin and getting faster each time...definitely a negative split for her!
Anyway, it was probably the best Christmas present I could have gotten - seeing that smile on her face and knowing how this will boost her spirits. I know I'll hold onto that sight for a long time...and use it as inspiration when I need a boost to keep going.