Wednesday, December 16, 2009

with luck like this...

...I should play the lottery!
Guess who's been called for jury duty again?! Yes, yours truly!
Tonight in my mailbox, alongside a number of Christmas cards, was an envelope from the Travis County Sheriff. My first thought was, "What offense/crime did I commit and forget about?" Unable to come up with anything I opened the envelope to see the all too familiar words: "Dear Prospective Juror: You are hereby summoned for jury duty as set out below..."
Seriously, this is laughable. A quick review of my history as a juror in Austin (in case you missed it last May when I served as a juror):
- lived here for 13 years
- this is my 6th time to be called for jury duty
- I've served twice now
- any time I've actually shown up for impaneling, I've been chosen
And the judge told us it was random last time. I'm questioning that!
The upside, I get to claim an exemption this time - there has to be a perk for having served recently (besides getting a Christmas card from the judge you served for - yes, that arrived in my mailbox last week). The bonus is that you can be exempt if you've served as a juror with in the 24-month period prior to the date you are required to appear. If you want...you can also serve...as much of a service as it is, I think I shall pass, thank you. Serving as a juror is actually a really neat part of our legal system. I respect the opportunity. I'm grateful to be in a country where this is possible. And, this time, I'm happy to let someone else have this fabulous experience.

No comments: