Disclaimer...I'm writing this more because I got a good laugh out of the things that annoyed me today. I don't mean it to sound like I'm complaining (I'll save my real complaining for the big things in life!), because they are so small in the large scheme of things. But so annoying. Sort of like mosquitoes.1 - when people go out on bike rides on routes they do not know and do not bring maps or directions with them or plan to ride with someone who knows the way. I'm amazed when I witness this and I always think that these people are just a lot more confident than I am when it comes to riding a new route (and I have a pretty good internal GPS). Or maybe they are just not all that smart when it comes to making good decisions about riding? Today on the Longhorn course where, even in spite of my planning and printing turn-by-turn directions, I had to rely on others from time to time, I was struck by one woman (NOT a T3-er!!) who had set out on the route without any directions and then had the audacity to turn to me at one point and say, "Do you have any idea where you are going?" with an accusatory tone. I calmly said, "Yes, we stay on this road until we see Decker Lake Road and then we take a right" when I really wanted to say, "Well, I know where I am going...I have no idea where you are going. And, it would be hard for you to know, too, since you don't have directions." I don't know why this is such a hot-button issue for me. It's not that I mind helping people - I actually LOVE helping people. But I really do get annoyed when people set out for a ride without helping themselves first by being prepared.
2 - if you are in a store and you have your kids with you, please watch them so that they are not running around and into carts and knocking over stuff. And if they do knock something over, please walk back to the mess with them and pick it up (get them to help, too!). Today I saw a family with lots of kids leaving a path of destruction, and when the parents noticed it they just kept walking and said, "Oh, someone will get that." In shock I said, "Gosh...the folks who work here would probably appreciate a little help with it though." They just shrugged. Wow. I don't get that either. You make a mess, you clean it up. It's not that tough. (P.S. I love kids...today it was really just the lack of respect shown by their parents who needed to set a good example!)
3 - I get annoyed when I try to support local stores and have to eventually go online to get running shoes. This is no one's fault but the manufacturers who stop producing certain models of shoes when they are about to put the new model out. But I've been patiently waiting and checking and was advised today to get them someplace else. I appreciated that suggestion and will certainly have other times to buy shoes and support Rogue Running, but I wish I'd had a crystal ball to see this coming 3 weeks ago when I went in there and was told there would be a new shipment in a few weeks. Apparently the shoes walked out of the store before they even really hit the shelves! Oh, well, new shoes will be here in about 4 days and I still have a few miles left in the old shoes.
4 - finally, I get annoyed when companies send me stuff that I haven't ordered and I miss the fine print of "return by this date to avoid paying for this" and I end up having to keep something I didn't even want in the first place. This is totally my own fault for not paying more attention to such things. Alas, I hope there are some good recipes in this new cookbook I just bought myself! Note to self: read more closely...especially when it comes to products that you didn't order!
Okay, enough griping...sorry for an annoying post. And how funny is it that I did NOT get annoyed by anything when chaperoning the 80 or so seniors on their sr. retreat! Maybe I just need another night's sleep in my own bed to get this "being easily annoyed" bug out of my system. Oh, and per my post yesterday...I think I owe someone money today if thoughts count against us, too. Better luck to me tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment