Thursday, September 3, 2009

sleep update

I know...you've all been waiting with bated breath to hear how my new sleep resolution is going. Okay, well, maybe not but keeping you updated is a way of holding me accountable so here's the report. It's pretty simple because I've been pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I've had a few lapses here and there (but really only a couple), but overall, I've been totally committed to getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night. I know that you might be saying, "Seven? You need at least seven or eight...what on earth were you doing before?" Simple answer: not getting enough sleep. By a lot. And even though I'm not breaking any sleep records now, I'm breaking my own records. On August 19 I said I'd try to do this for a week. And now...it's been a little over two weeks. And I've done a good job of getting seven hours of sleep a night. Not the eight that I'm ultimately aiming for but FAR more than I've gotten on any regular basis for, oh let's say, the last three or four years.
Do I feel different? Well, some days I do. And some days I don't. But frankly, I think I need at least a month or so of this little experiment to be able to really tell. I mean, I am working off of years of a sleep deficit! And I know that regardless of how I feel, this is good for me. Sort of like drinking more water or taking my vitamins. Day in and day out I might not feel better but in the long run it's a really good health choice...and I'm kind of into that these days.
P.S. Special thanks to my sleep enforcer...

No comments: