Saturday, September 12, 2009

September 11


I know that today is September 12, but I didn't write about September 11 yesterday...partly in keeping with my "tradition" of having a Friday quotation and partly because I really just wasn't sure what to say.
I didn't want to say something trite about the day. I didn't want to say that on this day in 2009 I was thinking of Jane Brennand (a dear, dear friend of Gran) and her 90th birthday as much as I was thinking about September 11, 2001 because I knew how much Gran was looking forward to seeing her. But I also didn't want to ignore it.
And really you couldn't. Everywhere flags were flying at half mast. People paused in the morning hours to remember that day. And Story Corps broadcasted at 8:46 EST to commemorate when the first airplane struck the World Trade Center eight years ago. Story Corps is one of my favorite Friday treats as it offers (usually) two people interviewing one another. Sometimes a parent and child. Or two friends. Or relatives. Yesterday, it was a father telling the story of losing his two sons (firefighters) on September 11, 2001. Click here to listen to it...but pull out the Kleenex first.
Story Corps often makes me cry. Sometimes I laugh, too. And when I was interviewing Gran in August I imagined that we were our own little Story Corps project. I love the premise of the show - "to honor and celebrate one another's lives through listening." What a wonderful idea.

1 comment:

Jess said...

i was on my way to run at BSP when i heard that story on friday...i love listening to NPR in the morning on my way to workout...but friday...hearing storycorp is really a treat to me too...i totally cried as i was crossing the first street bridge...it felt right.