Tuesday, September 29, 2009

scattered...calmed

I rolled out of bed excited about swim practice...I'm always excited about swim practice. But somewhere between Enfield and Loop 360 on MoPac I saw a big flash of light across the sky. And then another. And then another. I will swim in the pouring down rain but I don't mess with lightning and water. And I figured the folks at Circle C wouldn't either. Shoot.
Quick adjustment..."I'll go to spin, and then I'll swim tonight" was my thought. Quickly countered by, "No, there's no morning spin today..." Solution #2, "I'll go to core...oh, but it might start at 5:30 today and it's already 5:30. And do you have the right clothes - after all, you thought you were going swimming!"
Solution #3: "Go home, change into yoga clothes, and go to the 6:30 yoga class at YogaVida since you couldn't do it yesterday." Nice. Decision made. And I was happy with it. Until I realize, "Oh, I bet this morning is a morning when there's a yoga class at the PTC and I could have tried that out!" Duh. Too bad, I was at YogaVida at that point in time and I was just happy to be settled to do something . I felt like I'd had a MAJOR mental workout in that hour between 5:15 and 6:16 a.m. Yoga felt good as a rest for my brain! (Oh, and stretching my legs after Wilke was good, too...the lunges, however, were not.)
I left yoga feeling calmer.
But the real thing that calmed me was seeing a double rainbow in the sky on the other side of Lamar as I headed to school. This picture doesn't do it justice but it was really spectacular. And somehow made me feel like my day was going to be much calmer than my morning had been. Turned out to be a true sign of the day. Phew.
And all of that in a matter of 3 hours from start to finish... Made for a rather long day. But a good day. And one that ended with me making my first apple pie ever. I know, me, the baking queen...I've made apple crisp and an apple turnover and an apple-cranberry crumble and even applesauce but never before an apple pie. Turned out pretty well...although the real test will be my students tomorrow.

No comments: