Tuesday, September 22, 2009

on a roll...

...well, not really. And my legs are not happy with me! My legs feel more tired than they ever did during Ironman training. Or at least that I can remember. Maybe they did feel this tired but I blocked it from my memory?! Somewhere between my 65 mile ride + 30 minute brick on Saturday, 14 mile run (at a not-so-slow-for-ETG pace) on Sunday, and "not quite a mile" repeats in Zilker yesterday my legs decided that they were done. And really, who can blame them? I did not thank them appropriately for all of that work. Oops.
I took a good ice bath on Sunday and I stretched a little bit. I did yoga on Monday. And I finally remembered to roll my legs out last night. Duh. Slow learner right here. You would think I had learned my lesson last winter when I was dealing with shin splints. I was SO good about rolling then that Erin joked that I needed to find a professional rolling contest to enter. Well, I'd be dead last if I tried such a contest now. I'm out of practice, lost that discipline of doing it (for the moment); but I'm ready to rejoin the world of rolling! Really, I should know better. When your massage therapist tells you every time that your calves feel like re-bar or chunky peanut butter because they are so tight and full of old junk from years of not stretching properly (remember those pseudo-stretches after soccer practice...yeah, they weren't enough, folks!) you should get a clue that this problem is not going away. And I know exactly where the road of not rolling leads...aqua jogging...no running...shin splints...NO FUN. (Well, aqua jogging is fun but I'd rather choose to do it than be forced to do it!)
So to my legs: I get the picture. I owe you some rolling, a little TLC, and some rest. All coming soon! And also to those same legs: I'm grateful for you, really I am. You've held up through a lot. You may not be the fastest or leanest or longest legs on the planet but you've put up with my insistence on trying to make you all of those things! But you better watch out because between my foam roller and my Triggerpoint kit I might just find a way to make Katie's job a little easier next time I get a massage! (And after core tomorrow...no more pounding until Sunday's long run, only swimming and biking.)

1 comment:

md said...

you are so solid with your training.
thanks for reminding me to use my TP, and roll my legs/calves. I better start if I wanna be included in that rolling competition!