Wednesday, September 30, 2009

easy as pie

Actually the pie was easier than I thought it would be to make. Followed a recipe from How to Cook Everything and it turned out to be pretty good. Okay, better than pretty good. It was polished off by my 11 advisees in 5 minutes or less. I know, they are hungry teenagers and will eat just about anything. But teenagers also have an amazing talent for being blunt when it comes to...well, just about anything. And they all said that they REALLY liked it (and wished I had made 2!) just as much without the ice cream...although I think apple pie is ALWAYS better a la mode! They were quite funny about it and told me that maybe I should think about taking on another job...as a baker. I told them I didn't think I had time for that unless they wanted to fire me as their advisor. Smart ones that they are, seeing as we have the whole year together, resoundingly said, "NO!"
And then it was time for a quick game of CatchPhrase. It seemed like everyone was in need of a little laughter today and this game certainly gave that to us. (Oh, and they got to discover today that I am a wickedly good guesser when it comes to CatchPhrase - if I do say so myself. Because one student needed to study I was a "swing player" and guessed for both teams...it was awesome because it meant I got to play the whole time! Yes, I think I'm a kid at heart.) Each advisory of mine has a different personality and this one is definitely fun, quick to laugh, responsible, and just wonderful to be with. Yes, they have plenty of "teenage moments" - I would expect or want nothing less - but they sure are adding a lot of joy to my life. Making it easy (as pie...I couldn't resist!) to enjoy advising them.
Training note: I must keep going to track because I'm getting back into that weird mode that I get in where I'd rather be doing any sort of run rather than be at track. Seriously, all day today I was hoping for a football game at O'Henry so that we might be forced to do hills instead of ovals. I even thought at one point I'd rather be headed out for a 15 mile run rather than track practice?! WHAT?! Got to keep going so I get over this...sooner rather than later please, ETG. (I hate dreading a workout!) Thanks, Amy, for pulling me through tonight's workout...again.

1 comment:

remaustin said...

I love How to Cook Everything. You know what else is good? If you crumble a little bacon on top of the apples but under the top crust. I know you don't like bacon. I'm just saying.