Sunday, September 27, 2009

hills...cobbler and everything in between

I feel like my day yesterday ended with hills...and my day today began with hills! This time on foot. From "the rock" at Town Lake up Scenic over to Balcones all the way to 2222 and back toward the lake via Hancock, Bull Creek, Jefferson, 35th, and Exposition. This might not mean a lot to some of you reading this but it's a pretty darn hilly run. Balcones is one of those hills in Austin that makes your car lurch back a little in an effort to get up it. Sort of like what my heart felt like doing today! But it was great to run a new route so I tried to focus on that and just moving my legs as well as they would move as I tackled the 12 miles + 3 more on the trail. Not gonna lie, it was a tough run today. Well, they are all tough but those extra 3 miles on the trail combined with the hills and the humidity really stretched me. But I made it! I'm not saying it was pretty...but it made for a very welcomed ice bath when I got home.
The afternoon was a wonderful mix of catching up with friends (that did my heart good!) and getting errands run and then home to do some work and do laundry and bake! (Confession: my favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon music-wise is to find the Country Top 40 that I've missed because of my morning run and listen to it...I will understand if some of you don't feel like you can talk to me anymore.) The house still smelled sweet from banana bread last night...the summer has made me a banana bread making machine since I seem to lose bananas faster than I can eat them. (If anyone reading this wants a loaf, let me know. I have a couple of extras...Meredith's recipe made a lot!) Today's menu included chocolate chip cookies for some students at school and peach cobbler (or the peach cobbler I make when peaches are no longer in season) for a student's birthday tomorrow. Later in the week I have to see if I can make an apple pie? My advisees get to choose what they want as a treat for their birthdays...which means that I sometimes end up experimenting in my kitchen! The cobbler turned out well today...a little scoop of ice cream on it tomorrow and it will be AWESOME!
Now to make some "real food" for the week and lounge on the couch a little...somehow it got to be 7 p.m. without my having done that. Oh, well, the day has been so great, I don't even care!

2 comments:

md said...

I saw you take off on your run. I did the same route. as if we didn't get enough hills from the ride yesterday!
way to go with the extra loop on the trail. that was my plan, but my legs were thinking something different.
and now I'm hungry for some cobbler!

reyacono said...

OK, I won't pretend I wasn't shocked about the Country Top 40 thing.
But also, I am in awe of your running Balcones & Scenic.
And I would definitely eat banana bread, especially since I miss my regular meetings with Meredith.

You are amazing (no surprises there).