Monday, November 24, 2008

IMAZers!


I'm so inspired by my T3 teammates who raced the Ironman in Arizona yesterday that I had to blog about them today. I know, a blog is probably technically supposed to be about me but today, they are a heck of a lot more interesting and exciting than I am. So, here's a shout out to Charles, Jess, Michelle, Jane, and Lory! WOW! It was so exciting to watch each of these T3 athletes cross the finish line...even if it was only via IronmanLive. What a huge deal. A 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, and a 26.2 mile run to top it off. Yes, folks, that would be a full marathon at the end of this grueling race. And these five folks from Austin finished with a bang - arms raised, grinning from ear to ear, and hopefully VERY proud of their accomplishment. In case you don't know, athletes train for an Ironman for months...many months...with many long workouts...and probably not enough naps. Training for an Ironman is like having another job - or so I'm told. I think that a typical cycle develops: train, eat, sleep, train, eat, sleep...and throw in work and do laundry and go to the grocery and try to fit in time with friends and family. Why do we do it? Great question! Some people think we're crazy...and maybe we are a little. But I think we do it because we love the sport. Because of the rush that comes with setting a goal so high that you really are not sure if you are going to reach it but you go after it anyway. Because if you're lucky enough to train with a team you develop amazing friends along the way. And because what sort of life would it be if you didn't take on something really crazy every once in a while.
You'll be hearing more about my journey on this crazy path in the coming months. I'm sure I will ask "Why am I doing this?" more times than I'd like to admit. But the truth is that a get so excited thinking about it that I can only imagine what I'll actually do when I cross that line in Coeur D'Alene and hear the words that I am an Ironman. Chills. (More likely...tears!)
But today is about Charles, Jess, Michelle, Jane, and Lory...a big congrats to each of you for being so amazing and a huge thank you for helping me to believe that I, too, might be an Ironman one day.
P.S. To that end, I sent in my community fund stuff for CDA today...thanks to all the people who helped make that happen. I feel surrounded by support and good karma before this adventure has even officially begun. I'm so, so lucky.

No comments: